Monday, March 8, 2010

Just another Saturday night in Japan

One of my favourite things to do in Montreal was going to see concerts, and it's something I've been missing a bit since coming to Japan. Needless to say, I was really psyched when I got an invitation to go see a concert on Saturday, in Takamatsu. Most international bands travel to Tokyo and Osaka, but I never actually made it to an actual live venue there. I thought it would be a fun experience to see some local Japanese acts... and what an experience it was! Probably the weirdest night I've had in ages. The concert featured around seven or eight acts, and the show actually started at 5:30 pm- such an odd time! It went on until about probably midnight, but I wouldn't know because we had to catch our last train a bit before that (oh, early Japanese trains!). I saw everything from costumes to choreographed moves, and the audience really got into it. It was one of those 'only in Japan' moments.



The rest of the weekend consisted of the laziest Sunday I've had in ages- just lounging about, watching movies, playing video games, and eating the most delicious brunch I've had in a long time. Sometimes being isolated in the countryside does have its perks... it's so peaceful and quiet, and it's nice to just hibernate on a cold, rainy day. It was much, much needed after teaching a zoo-like class the day before!



4 comments:

thevoyageofv said...

Sounds like springtime in the countryside is full of good stuff :-)

French lover said...

Sounds like you had such a fun/unique time !

Jen said...

We have concerts like that here with local acts. It's usually a showcase or battle of the bands type setup for small-time musicians. They can be a lot of fun and a great way to discover some new music. So glad you finally got to go to a Japanese concert and get your music fix!

Des said...

I smiled when I read the part about early trains. If you miss the last train in Asia, then you're stuck wherever you are until 5 a.m. Been there, done that. lol.