Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentines, girls, boys, and Sundays.





Valentines Day in Nippon is a tad bit different than what we're used to back home. Girls actually give chocolate to boys, and boys reciprocate exactly a month later, on White Day. Kind of funny! Even though I didn't really follow the Japanese tradition (I was too timid!), I did indulge on loads of chocolate (given to me by students, co-workers, friends, and stolen from certain boys), and had a fun-filled weekend.

Friday night was Boys Night, which took place at the local ramen shop with some of my hilarious male friends, eating ramen and drinking beers for hours, and just taking silly pictures with my phone and staying up quite late at my place (my neighbours probably hate me for belting out some Shout Out Loud tunes at 3am).

Saturday night was Girls Night, complete with an Italian feast, some manicures, clothes sharing, and taking silly pictures on Photobooth. Not too different, in a way, but definitely less uncouth than the previous night. Sunday was spent eating heavenly pancakes and baked apples, going for a long run around my town, then some fun train rides, which I've been enjoying quite a bit lately. I am loving Sundays.

8 comments:

melanie lace said...

What a great tradition- white day!

French lover said...

C'est super mignon leur façon de faire ça à l'envers, avec le White Day pour réciproquer ! Loving it =)

Jen said...

Sounds like a good Valentine's Day to me!

Saara said...

What a cute tradition! So romantic :)

Kelly said...

VIVI!!
thank you for all the sweet comments!! you're too much :)

your Valentine's weekend sounds beyond heavenly! i'm jealous!!!
i love reading all of your little stories that you share with us. i feel as though i am living vicariously through you!!!
xoxo

Nicole Marie said...

how fun! they get to celebrate valentines twice!!

{lovely little things} said...

great friends, manicures, pancakes, you can't go wrong!

thevoyageofv said...

Aw, happy belated V-Day, V!
We need to catch up soon! Sorry I've been so off the radar, but I think of you and your fabulous Japanese life often :-)