Saturday, January 2, 2010

Tokyo Drift

{View of Shibuya crossing from Starbucks}


Tokyo was pure madness.

Tokyo is intoxicating, Tokyo gets me high, Tokyo is another dream.

Ringing the new year in Tokyo was perfection. My Japanese friend made a traditional meal called Nabe, a kind of hot pot with a miso broth and shrimp and heaps of vegetables. We drank white sparkling wine (no less than Sofia Blanc de Blancs, my pick of course), then hit a club in the trendy Ebisu neighbourhood, where we danced, drank, and counted down, and drank some more, and danced some more... until we stumbled in the streets at 5am looking for some cheap eats and catching trains back to our places in Tokyo. It as a great mix of Japanese friends (the ones I met back in Tokyo last summer while traveling), and some of my fellow trainees from Nagoya. It was quite wonderful to be surrounded by them and ring 2010 in such a crazy atmosphere, realizing I'm in Tokyo... something I'll remember forever.

The party never really ended, as the next night was a karaoke-filled joint birthday celebration, which I'm still recovering from. I just couldn't bear to leave Tokyo earlier today... I spent one more sunny afternoon strolling the Harajuku streets, hitting some more sales, drinking more coffee from the busiest (and fastest) Starbucks in the world, and people watching at Shibuya crossing. It broke my heart to leave this brilliant city, but I cheered up once I boarded the Shinkansen for a 3-hour fast ride across Japan... to finally get home in dear old little Marugame. Being home is actually quite nice and relaxing!

I cannot be thankful enough to my lovely friends who hosted me in their stylish Japanese apartment, too.

Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo... I'll be back!

Friends, temples, coffee, and of course some shopping at Sofia Coppola's Milkfed...






New Years Eve Japanese meal in lovely company and my Sofia sparkling drink...




Countdown, dancing, DJs, and drunkenness + madness at Liquid Room in Ebisu...





And... boarding the Shinkansen back home.

9 comments:

Nicole Marie said...

sounds like so much fun!! and love you coat!!
xoxo

mina said...

Looks like you're having a great time! Happy New Year!

{lovely little things} said...

Sounds like an amazing time, Tokyo seems to have endless energy, can't wait to visit there!

French lover said...

Aww, the Starbucks in Shibuya <3 I love that place !

maeghan said...

Sounds breathtaking! Glad you're loving your time there!

ANDY said...

Happy New Year babe!!!!!!! I wish you the best for 2010

Are you enjoying Japan??????

XOXO
Andy

Coffee_c said...

Happy New Year and HAPPY BIRTHDAY my lovely friend!

I wish you all the best, but it seems like you don't need too many wished, as you life looks so wonderful already. Therefore, I hope it'll stay as exciting and my only true wish is that you continue sharing your experiences with us in 2010.
Love you babe! Enjoy every second...

nifer said...

Aw, you look so happy and beautiful!

Emily said...

Tokyo is such an incredible place. It looks like you're having a blast in Japan - I am looking forward to your updates!