Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sunday night in Japan

I've been living in Japan for a little over two months now, and it's been downright incredible. And I cannot help but reflect on how different my life is here than it was back home in Montreal (or even in Seoul). I dearly miss my family, friends, cupcakes, Sunday brunches, and live gigs, but I'm appreciating a more casual lifestyle here, laid back activities, and random weekend trips. I've seen so many beautiful sights and met loads of fascinating people, and the adventure is really just starting. And this time around, I really am living it up, and do things I'd sometimes never, ever do back home...



Late night excursions to ramen shops. All you can drink karaoke (the mere thought makes me cringe, as it's so unsophisticated, but that's the beauty of it). Playing dress up at fancy cocktail parties. Befriending the locals and learning new Japanese words. Biking around town to find the sweet shops and caf├ęs (hello, new bike). Studying the katakana and hiragana characters... and spending three hours writing a chart. Making breakfast for my friends. Candy cane martinis. Filling bowls of tasty udon for 200 yen. Reading and writing. Living on my own. Long train rides by the coast. Hot sake. Taking pictures. Getting real mail. Lazy mornings. Red bean filled pastries. Being outgoing. Hot Chip blasting in my classroom while I prepare. Learning Japanese from my students. Running in the winter weather.





4 comments:

Jen said...

Wow, Vivian! I can't believe it's been two months already! How long are you over there for?

Life Abroad said...

It's wonderful to read all the new ways you've pushed yourself while in Japan. It really sounds like you are having an incredible life experience!

Saara said...

your life is so amazing :)

Des said...

It's so great to read that you're writing. You've experienced and are experiencing so much that I know whatever stories you have to tell will be very compelling.