Monday, January 18, 2010

Origami

I'm slightly addicted to origami... which is the Japanese art of paper folding. I remember trying it when I was a kid, but recently got more into it as origami paper is widely available in all of my classrooms. I'm not very good at it, but I was amazed by my kindergarten kids' skills, seriously folding and creating amazing things such as cats and octopi. I did 'borrow' some stacks of colorful paper to take home, and I'm shamelessly folding away and trying to create little marvels... when in Japan... why not.

{Origami octopus, created by my student}


{He taught me how to do it, but honestly, it was quite advanced for my level...}


{I have no idea what this kid created, but he's just super adorable}

7 comments:

Melanie's Randomness said...

awww. I've always wanted to get into orgami. I love orgami swans. Your students are so cute.

French lover said...

Omg they're so cute <3
I did origami over the holidays with origami paper I had bought at Muji... needless to say I need some serious practice. Am I the only one who gets frustrated after trying and failing to make a swan after the 5th attempt ? ;-)

Jen said...

That is really cool! Good luck with your origami studies!

thevoyageofv said...

You should make an origami plane so you can fly it to Paris in April :-)

jiru said...

Hi!
I'm enjoying reading your blog! (I linked to it randomly...and I don't remember how) I actually have been living on Osaka for the past two years teaching, so it's fun to read your first impressions and compare them to what mine were!!
matta ne!
Jill

Kelly said...

these are so cute vivi! you should do an origami how-to post! teach us how to make them!!!

hope you have an amazing weekend :)
thank you for being you, lovely lady! i always love your comments and emails.
xoxo

Leanne said...

Wow, I'm so glad I discovered your blog! Living/teaching in Japan sounds like an amazing experience, I would love to do that one day :).