Monday, January 11, 2010

The never-ending birthday party

My Marugame friends now use my birthday as an excuse to go out and celebrate... which I love! This weekend has been filled with more festivities including scrumptious foods and drinks, and a lovely girlie movie night featuring 'September Issue'... and chocolate-chip cookies. Living in a small town is actually a lot of fun: everyone is so friendly and generous, and we all live within biking distance of one another, so gatherings are frequent and very, very fun. I think being in Japan brings out my cheerful, happy, laid-back side... which I had lost back in Montreal, or simply buried under an anxious and uptight facade, when things did not turn out the way I thought they would. Fast forward to now. What I thought would be terrifying and lonely actually turned out to be the best thing that could ever happen to me. I'm completely smitten. And not with a boy (for once!), but with a place.

{My French toast birthday extravaganza! My friends seem to like the fact that I'm French, so any excuse is good to bring it out of me... with delightful homemade creations. And strawberries are a luxury in Japan}


{Yet another birthday party, and the Marugame crew}


{My lovely friend picked up some real American brownie mix on her trip back home, so that was a real treat!! And she has an oven!}

{Just how many people can fit in my Japanese apartment?? 1,2,3,4...}
{5,6,7 including myself. I sprawled out my futons and we all chilled out on them. Not the classiest set up, but you have to make do!}

{The party turned out into an all nighter filled with drinks from a ladle, wasabi nuts, music, games, and ended up at 6am. Woop.}

5 comments:

thevoyageofv said...

Drinks from a ladle? French toast? Brownies? Sounds perfect to me. I am so, so, so happy you're living it up in Japan. You will never forget this!

Kelly said...

How fantastic!! these are the moments you will remember forever! sounds like an amazing birthday!!

tn1125 said...

Sounds like a great bday..very chic. It's also great you have such a close knit & seems like they don't live that far. I wish i had that when i was living in the rice paddies of Korea.

French lover said...

Looks like you had so much fun ! :)) Strawberries and brownies, yum <3 It's so great you made such good friends in so little time !

Ro said...

You guys all look like you're having a blast. My birthday was on the 6th and I'm still celebrating it - even if I'm the only one doing so!