Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Crossing the bridge

In my previous post I mentioned the amazing Seto Ohashi bridge, which connects my island to the mainland of Japan. Here is a wonderful picture of it, not taken by me, but by a charming elderly Japanse man I met in Okayama while sightseeing. He was just having a stroll with his wife, and they came up to me excitedly, asking for a picture. Back home this would be considered a tad creepy, but it's definitely not in Japan. He spoke pretty good English and I told him about how beautiful his home was. We exchanged email addresses, and I woke up this morning only to find some wonderful pictures of Japanese scenery, including the bridge to my home:



I think this alone is worth the train ride.

{Here is a map of Japan, with Okayama in red. Shikoku, where I live, is the orange island right across from it. The bridge connects me to the mainland. Yup, I live in the south! Tokyo is located in the aqua blue section on the right, and Osaka + Kyoto are pretty close to me, in the lime green area}

9 comments:

Kelly said...

what a great thing to wake up to! and what a kind man!

it's so beautiful there :)

thevoyageofv said...

I think one of the best parts of traveling is meeting so many interesting locals. So nice that you two exchanged e-mails!

French lover said...

Oh.My.Gosh. Je ne crois pas avoir déjà vu un pont aussi long !!
J'adore les petites anecdotes de voyage (although you're not technically on a trip but you see what I mean), on fait souvent des rencontres inattendues !

{lovely little things} said...

Wow, what a cool picture. I've read about this bridge, it's an engineering marvel!

Des said...

Whoa, this is very cool.

Jen said...

That bridge is amazing. And, what a nice man to e-mail the picture to you!

k. said...

So beautiful!

Erika said...

I should love to frame the photo of that bridge and hang it on my bedroom wall - it is absolutely breathtaking!! :)

Joanna Goddard said...

what a beautiful photo! he sounds like a wonderful character!