Saturday, January 30, 2010

Baking in Japan

Baking was one of the things I thought I would have to give up while in Japan. Ovens are not very common in Japanese kitchens (especially not in our tiny single flats), and even though baking supplies abound, it's just not an option for me right now. That is, until I met a fellow English teacher who does own an oven... and loves to bake as well. Luckily he's my neighbour, so I think today marked the start of a Saturday afternoon baking (and wine) tradition...



7 comments:

Stephanie Catherine Tatyana Morris said...

Oh Viv:) I'm happy that you've found another little piece of happy in your land far away. Cupcakes can be the crux of happiness in my humbel opinion....and combined with wine....we really are seoul sisters i'm thinking:)
xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Melanie's Randomness said...

I didn't know that an oven wasn't something that was in every Japanese kitchen!?!?!?! Awwww. I'm glad you got to make some cupcakes. Enjoy them! =)

Jen said...

Yay! I'm so glad you got to bake because I know how much you love it. Those cupcakes look delicious, and I'm sure they tasted twice as good since you didn't think you were going to have them for a while!

thevoyageofv said...

Cupcakes and wine? That's a tradition I can get down with.

Caustic Blonde said...

you must be so happy right now!

French lover said...

Awwwww cupcakes !!! So cool you got a new tradition with your neighbor/friend ! Même si l'évasion est agréable, un petit taste of home est toujours agréable <3

Saara said...

Not a bad tradition at all :)