Friday, December 11, 2009

The Grasshopper

Living abroad on your own makes you do things you would never, ever do back home.

Like going to a bar. By yourself.

The girl who lived in my apartment told me I definitely had to go to the Grasshopper, a little foreigner bar located down the street. She told me that's where she met all of her friends, both foreigners and young, cool Japanese. And, she said I definitely had to check it out in order to meet friends.

So there I was, having a bit of a boring Friday night after coming home late from work. As I was picking up some midnight snacks at the Mini Stop convenience store, I decided I should go have a look. So I took a deep breath (and a few sips of Asahi), tuned off my iPod and walked in the Grasshopper. All the while thinking, "oh my god oh my god I'm going to a bar by myself, how desperate is that".

I went up to the lovely Australian girl who owns it and introduced myself. Turns out she is super friendly, loved my jacket, and we took it from there. She is unfortunately closing the bar in a few weeks, so she had tons of books to give away. I ended up sipping a gin and tonic, looking through the piles of books and chatting with her a bit. It was a quiet night at the bar, only a few older Japanese men who coyly peered in my direction (no thanks).

Actually I'm going back tomorrow night with some co-workers, so it should be a lot more happening, but it was nice to just pop in and say hi. I left with a bunch of reading material, an invitation to hang out, a drink on the house, and all of my dignity.

Not bad, not bad at all.


{Christmas cheer @ Grasshopper}


{Reading material}


Oh, and I also worked up the courage to walk into a temple late at night. This is what it looks like. It was so peaceful:

3 comments:

thevoyageofv said...

I've been thinking of taking a few weekend trips by myself, even if they're on my own, but I always get so intimidated when it comes to going out to dinner alone. Brave girl!

k. said...

I honestly just spend the last day just reading your whole blog. Your life is so fascinating & I love reading about your adventures :)

Hope you're loving it in Japan!

xox, K

nifer said...

Yay for you! Risks do have their rewards! I'm glad to hear things are going well so far, and you are stepping out of your comfort zone. That's what it's all about, right?

~ Jen