Thursday, November 5, 2009

First night in Japan





First night in Japan.

Trying to grasp the fact that I actually live here now- which hasn't hit me yet. I was expecting a mini breakdown on my first night, wanting to go home, but everything went quite smoothly. Maybe I was too tired, or too drunk!

After the longest flight I've ever had, a rep from my company picked me up at the Nagoya airport, then drove me to my training apartment, where I'll be staying for two or three weeks. It's a pretty nice Japanese-style flat, which I'm sharing with a nice Canadian girl. My bedroom is covered with tatamis, and I sleep on a real futon, right on the floor. It's quite comfortable. And, it's so clean!! No cockroaches or mold.

We have everything we need for now- kitchen, living room, and bathroom. The bathroom is funny to me, there are three different rooms for it: the actual toilet is in its own little room, then the sink in another, and finally a room combining the shower and bathtub. Sweet! The shower is not Korea-style, but I like how it's right next to the bathtub. According to Japanese customs, you're supposed to shower first, then soak in the tub.

I barely opened my suitcases last night, as I just wanted to hit the hay. I did knock on my neighbours' door and met some fellow trainees, with whom I had a quick drink, then walked to the nearest convenience store to get a snack (a triangle-shaped rice and tuna concoction), and some shampoo. Can you believe I got Shiseido shampoo for less than 3$? One of the only brands that is actually cheap here!

I've been up since 6am (hello, jet lag), and my next few days are free for me to explore Nagoya and get some rest. I'm now on a mission to find some breakfast!

9 comments:

Nicole Marie said...

yay! glad the first night was good. can't wait to hear about all your exploring!

maeghan said...

Cool as hell. Hope things continue flowing smoothly for you! And I love the pictures!

Lisa said...

Ohhh sounds like you're gonna have a great time in the next few days :)

I'm happy for you that the apartment is clean... that's always my worse fear when I'm traveling (dirty hostels/hotels, ew) !!!

And cheap Shiseido, sigh..... lucky you!!! You should get your hands on SK-II products, I heard it's cheaper in Asia... apparently works wonders :] especially the face mask (? something like that), models use it all the time!

Staci M.W. said...

Hi there! Sorry I haven't e-mailed you yet, I have a draft all started even!
Oh your apartment! Gives me such sentimentality for my own tatami room and all other things Japan!

thevoyageofv said...

You're my idol, Viv. I'm am so excited for you and to keep reading all about your adventures over there. So cool, everything is so incredibly different, from the tatami mats to the $3 Shiseido! Fantastic.

Kerri Lynne said...

what a cute little apartment! the bathroom sounds so interesting. love it.

kristine said...

wow how lucky for me to have discovered your blog right at the time you are moving to a new place. very exciting. good luck!

mina said...

I never knew what to eat for breakfast in Tokyo. I was also thrilled to find a Shiseido lip gloss for $1. Awesome. Glad to hear that you are enjoying things thus far.

seasonal lust said...

the triangle concoction: onigiri! A must for on the go eating.