Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Summer skin

{Sunset in Railay, Thailand}

And we'd left our love in our summer skin

-dcfc

I always associate Death Cab for Cutie with the end of the summer. Their songs have a certain nostalgic quality that perfectly depicts the transition between seasons, or just change in general. I love them.

I'm not too sad summer is over. I enjoy summer in small doses, such as beach trips, mini vacations, chilled white wine, hot summer nights, and sundresses. Yet I'm just not a summer girl. I don't live anywhere near a beach, I don't sleep well in the heat, my hair gets fluffy when it's humid, and I barely ever get a tan since I'm obsessively applying sunscreen. I'm not too crazy about summer fashion either: the sight of flip-flops, overexposed bra straps and ill-fitting halter tops (on other people, not me!) irks me.

Autumn I adore. The cold and crisp air, the riding boots, the tights, the fabulous jackets, Vogue September issue, hot Starbucks... I love, love, love.

My summer was so much better than I thought it would be. I took a mini-trip to Toronto, I ran and hiked at the mountain several times per week, I drank wine sitting on my front yard, had countless lazy Sunday brunches with lovely friends, danced until dawn outdoors to Italian disco music, saw some great live concerts, and had some picnics and pool lounging days, and visits from far away friends. Sure, no Thailand trips or scuba diving like last summer, but no cockroaches and mosquito bites either!

At work, it's been exciting since we're filming on location, which is a brand new experience for me. I get to be a set production assistant this weekend, which is a pretty dirty job, but to me it's a fun opportunity. Pulling wires, blocking streets, telling people to keep quiet, help with the technical stuff.... YES! Quite the experience for me. I was told to not wear sandals, and warned that my neon pink mani might be chipped. I think the crew guys have a hard time believing I'll pull it off, but I'm determined to. More stories to come after the weekend...


{My best Sofia Coppola moment}

21 comments:

mina said...

If you had told me that was Sofia Coppola I would have believed you. That sunset picture is beautiful. I am going to miss Winnipeg summers. I love the summer and get upset when it ends. Lament.

Sarah Alaoui said...

AGreed.

Clarity said...

Congrats on Des's shout out!

I agree with you about Summer. I think as children we are "made" to like it and I appreciate the shady nooks I seek out.

But Autumn is refreshing, cool-cheeked and I love the turning leaves.

Kelly said...

i'm like you...i love the summer time but i really look forward to autumn/fall. it's my most favorite time of year. as much as i like spending time outdoors in the sun, i look forward to watching the rain come down on windows and feel the wind on my cheeks as i walk to a coffee shop to spend an afternoon in.

you've put me in the mood for fall!!

You Are My Fave said...

Completely agree with the Death Cab comment. Their music also reminds me of a contemplative moment looking out the window.

Kerri Lynne said...

Good luck! And I couldn't agree more. I don't usually get a great reaction when I tell people I'm just not a summer person. I'm all about those transitional seasons...autumn and spring, yes & yes! Winter and summer? Not so much.

thevoyageofv said...

Sounds like a perfect summer! And good luck with the job this week, you'll show those crew guys who's boss.
Btw, Marching Bands of Manhattan is one of my favorite songs. Love Death Cab.

tn1125 said...

ya...girls in the west are skanky. I mean there are some cute tops/dresses but some are just down right skanky. I miss Korea...even though Korea has some skanky girls too..haha

Blushing hostess said...

I am a summer lover, it always spells possibility, but I agree fall holds another set of crisp treasures... onward...

Vivian said...

Rae- I'm still laughing afrom your skanky comment. One of the things that I noticed the most after being back from Korea, is definitely how much skin girls show here! I've become quite prudish myself, always covering up.

But yea, some Korean girls would wear the shortest, skankiest skirts too.... anyways.

Nicole Marie said...

i used to be such a summer girl. growing up by the beach. sneaking out of school to go to the beach all day instead. wearing no more than a sweater on chillier nights.

but now i long all summer for my boots and big comfy sweaters and pea coats.

and so exciting about the filming! so fun!!

Life Abroad said...

I'm definitely a summer girl, but I most look forward to the beginning of fall...that whole back-to-school shopping, crisp colourful leaves feeling! You've gotten me excited to do some fall shopping today :)

That is really exciting about your new film duties! Good luck!

Grace said...

I couldn't agree with you more. Summer is not for me. Give me one beach trip and I'm ready for cooler weather.

And flip flops... ugh... I've written epic poems about my disgust for them. Unfortunately in California I will be forced to look at other people wearing them year round.

Love Grace.

PH said...

Proud California wearer of flip flops here! The only thing worst than flip flops all year long is Uggs. :-)

Rose Red said...

I'm right there with you on summer, so glad it's almost over.

Sounds like you have an exciting job, I can't wait to hear more!

Madeleine said...

I'm like you, an autumn girl, and I can relate to how you like your summers in small doses.
Every autumn I go through listening to Death Cab over and over- it is my summer ending, autumn coming band. :)

lancelonie said...

I like summer, too; but hate sweat and the scorching sun. I love the feel of autumn. :)

The Lil Bee said...

You lived on your own for a year and traveled the world. Of COURSE you will pull it off on set!

Rebecca said...

sounds like such an amazing summer. i love fall too...took a hike yesterday behind the cabin and the leaves are starting to turn!

seasonal lust said...

ugh i love this song!! will comment on your entry in a bit, but had to rush and let u know that i love that song. =)

Wana said...

of courseee the pink nails r totally a dead giveaway!! lol.