Monday, May 18, 2009

Quirks


I like to watch movies over and over. No, seriously. Over, and over, and over again. Only some of them. I never get tired of a movie I love, and since I love them so much I need to see every little detail about it. Maybe that's why I have a career in production, who knows. I also do it with television series- I must have watched the whole Friends series about ten times. My roommate probably thinks I'm crazy when she hears the opening credits song every night during dinner. I've watched Lost in Translation about thirty times, and even went to some of the places they go to in the movie when I was in Japan. My geek-hood doesn't stop there.

My latest obsession in the movie department was "Chungking Express", two love stories that take place in Hong Kong. I rented it a few weeks ago, and got to keep it for a week, so obviously I watched it about three times. I sadly returned it, then this weekend I felt like seeing it again, so I decided it would be better to just buy it. Unfortunately, the local film store sells it for 50$ since it's from a special collection. WHAT??! Anyways, I just went back to the video store to rent it, I'd rather pay 3$ for now. The clerk at the counter said: "It says here you rented it already a few weeks ago". I quickly mumbled: "Oh, I didn't get around to watch it". I lied!! I was embarrassed!!! Is there a rule that doesn't allow you to watch a movie over and over? I know there isn't, but I felt like I got caught in my little 'watching over and over' act. Embarrassing!! That's what you get for paying 3$.

What are your quirks??

15 comments:

Gracie said...

Thanks! I hope you enjoy some of my musical suggestions!

I'll be looking for that film.

As for quirks, one of many, I can not eat the ends of my french fries.

Gracie.

heartbreakingenues said...

Ooooh I do that too... Esp. with SATC. I've probably watched the whole 6 seasons over 20 times ;)

LENORENEVERMORE said...

I adore your quirkiness! I bet you remember all the lines by now ~hee*
Take care dear! XO*

The Lil Bee said...

You should see if you can find it online used or something! Visually it looks gorgeous. And I am so there with you. I've watched every single SATC episode at least five times and it's as if I am glued to the couch if I'm flipping through and an old 80s fave pops up. Say Anything? Goonies? Totally done!

maeghan said...

I'm the exact same way! My parents have a DVR at their house, and I record the shows I like on it, and if I have the opportunity I'll watch a show several times while I'm there before it gets erased.

And whenever my boyfriend and I are trying to pick movies to watch, I always suggest the same ones and he's like, "Seriously? Again?" I think it amuses him. I'll have to watch some of the movies you named, and if you have any others let me know, so I can get some news movies into the mix for my boyfriend's sake. :)

I LOVE that you lied to try to hide this quirk from the guy at the store, because I'm sure I'd do the same.

maeghan said...

Unless you could find it cheaper elsewhere, try Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=chungking+express&x=0&y=0

amy@flyingakite.blogspot.com said...

I love your quirks. They create you, and help to define your individuality. I love how you vocalize your perks as well. Some people shy, and try to change, but you tell the world to look at you and the world will love you.

I have so many quirks. I can't even begin! BUT one quirk that I have that rules my life is anything to do with superstitions. You should see me play basketball. I have to put my left arm up 13 times, then my right. everyone teases me. I've gotta be proud right? !!

love your blog XO

K @ Blog Goggles said...

That's hilarious. I need to check that movie out.

♥ fashion chalet said...

awe, that'd be really great, meeting up at Starbucks in the same Chanel shade! ;)






x

amy@flyingakite.blogspot.com said...

awwww thanks for being so sweet! you are such a dawl.. i hope to hear back from you again and again and again :)?

Kelly said...

I do the same thing with Sex and the City show and movie. My boyfriend does the same with Friends and all the old James Bond movies. Quirks are wonderful!! They make everyone so unique and interesting!!

Des said...

Vivian,

I have to respectfully disagree. I don't think this is a quirk. I think this is a trait. Obsessively watching films over and over again is a tell tale trait of a filmmaker. I think what you may be subconsciously doing when you watch films repeatedly is trying to determine what kind of visual storyteller you want to be. So after following this blog and reading this post in particular, I think you should strongly consider making your own films. You obviously have the requisite skillset: background in production, strong visual aesthetic, good storyteller (as evidenced by this blog). Being surrounded by hipsters and creative types I doubt it'd be hard for you to assemble a crew. So I'm sure I speak for the rest of the people who read your blog when I say please start writing and make some short films. Again, what you may be dismissing as a quirk might actually be your subconscious trying to tell you something.

Vivian said...

Thanks, Des!!

Maybe, maybe! I definitely enjoy working in production. I still don't know what is my ultimate goal, but hopefully ideas keep coming- you never know ;)

Sam said...

Hey V - I'm the same with films, I can watch the same one endlessly. I've seen LIT around 10 times now...and my favourite which you HAVE to watch is Truly, Madly, Deeply. It's a British film so your rental store may not have it but keep an eye out, I think you'd love it. xoxo

Melvin said...

great to see this...
thanks for sharing....

__________________
Melvin
The only Satellite Television Delivers the Best Value in Entertainment