Sunday, May 3, 2009

Looking back, moving forward

Photobucket
{Kyoto, Japan. Fushimi Inari. You might recognize the tunnel from the movie Memoirs of a Geisha}
Photobucket
{Seoul, South Korea. Crossing the Cheonggyecheon stream, scared to fall in the water}

This week officially marks the end of Korea, and the beginning of... everything after. Obviously, Korea has been over for over two months now, but the transition back home was part of the adventure. I'm starting my television contract tomorrow, so it's the beginning of something new, something very exciting.

I remember my first day teaching in Korea, I was still jet-lagged, and awkwardly standing in front of twenty fourth graders who were intently staring at me. There I was, without any kind of training, wearing the mandatory indoor slippers, in my little cream knit dress, wondering where to start. Teaching a language that is not even my mother tongue. I think we ended up playing hang man for the whole hour. Thankfully, I don't feel like that for my new job, since I already know how it goes. And since it's a new television series, it's a whole new team, so we all start from scratch and help each other out. A little bit different!

I'll miss teaching, and I'll miss making a difference in kids' lives. I always felt like teaching was so rewarding. But then again, Aaron nicely pointed out that with my new tv show, I'll still make a difference, but for couch potatoes ;) I definitely won't miss the Korean workplace, with its lack of communication, last minute surprises, and frustrations due to the language barrier. I've been craving the excitement, creativity and franticness that goes on in television studios, so cheers to a change!

{Hope you all had great weekends. My roommate and I hosted a themed party, I shall post about it along with some fun pictures}

12 comments:

Adrian Monk said...

I know that tunnel but I can't remember the related story of that tunnel. I think it is related with some love stories.

thevoyageofv said...

I agree, hooray for change! Life is so weird, with it's phases... You never know what's just around the corner. The best is yet to come :-)

Nicole Marie said...

good luck tomorrow!! its like the real start back into real life for you. have a great first day! can't wait to hear all about it and the pics from the party!!

Kelly said...

good luck good luck good luck!!! a fresh start -- how exciting and lucky :) can't wait to hear up dates!!

also looking forward to seeing pics of the PARTY!

Nicole Marie said...

hope you had a great first day at work!!!

Thao said...

Good luck at your new job--it sounds very exciting! And thank you so much for your nice comment on my blog; I'm glad you stopped by! :)

Vivian said...

thank you so much guys! my first day was great, so hectic but i'm loving it! xx

Des said...

The very best of luck with your job. I read your last few posts and they remind me of that line from Cedric Klapisch's film, "L'auberge espagnole." I think the line was, "Why is it that our stories of hardship are the stories we love to tell the most?" I believe that is true of living abroad, and your experiences in Korea will be the stories you love to tell twenty years from now.

seasonal lust said...

your life sounds like one amazing adventure after the next. looking forward to hearing more about your television work =)

seasonal lust said...

ps. one of the places that i promise myself to visit before i die is fushimi inari! =)

erin said...

these photos of you are so cute!

Melvin said...

Awesome pics...
thanks for sharing....

___________________
Melvin
Lock in your price today for Your favorite channels - and keep it there until 2010!