Monday, May 25, 2009

Monday musings



{Stayed tuned, as I will have fabulous guest bloggers in the upcoming weeks, who will share their own "lost in translation" moments while traveling. Please email me at morelli.vivian@gmail.com if you'd like to share stories about living abroad, or traveling!}

After 4 months back home, here is what I miss the most about living in Asia:

*living abroad
*no rent to pay
*barely any taxes
*no tipping
*eating kimchi every day
*how big Seoul is
*cell phone works in the subway
*wireless internet available everywhere
*travel around Korea for very cheap
*reserving a seat at the movie theatre
*not understanding the language (white noise around you, not disturbing)
*the celebrity status of a foreigner
*the shopping everywhere
*Uniqlo
*Accessorize
*Muji
*busy streets and neon signs
*teaching kids
*sitting and sleeping on the floor
*playing tourist
*hiking
*all the amazing friends i met there


What I DON'T miss:

*the sewer smells, and all other fishy smells everywhere
*the cockroaches
*the humidity
*the mosquitoes
*trouble finding cheese and other Western goods
*being treated like s*** by my school
*lack of public hygiene
*rudeness
*the mandatory morning prayer and song (at my school only)
*lack of green spaces and parks in Seoul
*7$ coffee at Starbucks

I'm not sure Accessorize and Uniqlo are valid reasons to consider another year abroad, but I do have an undying love and fascination with Asia. Besides, I'm loving my job right now, it's so crazy busy and I'm learning a lot, and this summer will be amazing with the filming on location- which I'll definitely write about. Still in pre-production now, which means we're getting everything ready, so it's just a lot of work- making shooting schedules, casting, hiring, finding locations, editing scripts... one more month of that craziness, then the fun part will start!

4 comments:

Nicole Marie said...

what?? cell phones worked in the subways??!!

Vivian said...

YES!! Everywhere in Asia pretty much, they do. We're so behind for that technology...

{lovely little things} said...

There's no tipping in Korea, really? Is that true of most Asian countries, I had no idea.

Melvin said...

great to see this...
thanks for sharing....

__________________
Melvin
The only Satellite Television Delivers the Best Value in Entertainment