Thursday, April 23, 2009

Montreal Spring


Montreal gets about two whole months of warm weather, so it's easy to see why people get ecstatic when the snow melts and the sun starts shining. At the first sign of spring, it seems like the whole Montreal population wakes up and spends time outdoors. The parks are full of joggers, people having picnics and walking dogs. The numerous outdoor patios ('terrasses') get crowded with people enjoying glasses of wine or beer.

And apparently I live across the street from one of the trendiest, newest wine bars in Montreal, Buvette Chez Simone. It opened while I was in Korea, and I could see people talking about it all over the internet. Obviously I had to go see what the hype was all about, not once but twice in the past week. It's a cozy wine bar with a wooden interior and a tapas-style menu. The good thing is, it's fairly inexpensive (to fit my post-Korea budget), and very, very fun. They even play music by Cat Power (I'm obsessed with anything that is remotely related to Sonic Youth).

I went the first time with a girl friend, and last night with one of my best friends, who is heading to Japan for a 2-week vacation and wanted some tips. It made me so excited to talk about it, but so sad (and a tiny bit jealous) at the same time. We then moved our little party to another bar down the street, as more of our friends came and joined us. Ah, the joys of partying on a Wednesday night, my last chance to do so! The night ended on a less classy note (with a slice of 99-cent pizza) but I'm proud to say that I was jogging on the mountain at 10am this morning!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

what a great night!! i love spontaneous outings like those. that little wine bar looks delightful! so cute. going to places like that around sf is something i enjoy too!

thevoyageofv said...

Wine, tapas and friends... sounds perfect! I've never been to Montreal, but I love reading about it on your blog.

Nicole Marie said...

sounds like a great night! some of my favorite memories are middle of the week nights with friends. and i bet that 99 cent pizza what amazing!!

and yay for paying it forward! will you send me your address so i can send you your gift whenever i figure out what i'm going to make :)
nikymarie@gmail.com

Coffee_c said...

C'est des soirées comme ça qui me manquent de Montréal. Des soirées parfaites, avec tapas, copines et bonne ambiance.

Tu me fais m'ennuyer du printemps en ville, où tout le monde vire fou et beau, où les terasses sont magiques car éphémères. Oh la la... je ne pensais pas m'ennuyer de Montréal si vite.

Profites-en ma belle. Qui sait, tu vas peut-être manquer le prochain printemps (lol)! Dis-moi, c'est quoi cette job à Tokyo pour laquelle tu as appliqué?

Melvin said...

Awesome pics...
thanks for sharing....

___________________
Melvin
Lock in your price today for Your favorite channels - and keep it there until 2010!