Monday, April 6, 2009

Korea nostalgia, and...brownies


Since I got back to Montreal, I've been hanging out a lot (aka drinking mid-afternoon) with one of my friends who actually spent a few weeks in Seoul when I first arrived there last spring. We knew each other through work, and one day I found out through Facebook that she was taking a 2-week vacation in Seoul, so we decided to hang out for a night. I had only been in Seoul for two weeks, and I barely knew the city. Aaron and I left our apartment and met her and her boyfriend in Myeong-Dong, one of the busiest districts in Seoul, for a night of drinking and singing at a karaoke room. It was one of the best nights I had in Seoul, sharing the city with some friends from home, and discovering the Korean nightlife. My friend even got engaged the next day, in Seoul! (I barely made it to work, I was so hungover, and had to cover for Aaron's classes since he called in sick... fun times).

My friend and her (now) fiance loved Seoul so much, and really got into the culture, more than anyone I know. They also happen to live right in my neighborhood, so last night we all gathered for a true Korean feast. She went to the Korean grocery store, picked up supplies, and cooked all the typical Korean dishes: bulgogi (marinated beef), gimbap (California rolls), bibimbap (rice and vegetables mixture), rice, and she even got all the sides dishes, including kimchi. I did my part and brought the soju (the strong Korean liquor that tastes pretty abrasive), and baked some brownies (from scratch!), since we agreed that Korean desserts are not the most exciting.

We had such a great time drinking, eating, and even singing karaoke-style after the meal. It all made us so nostalgic, and for a few hours I missed Korea so, so much. Life was so easy there, I didn't have much responsibilities, taxis didn't cost much, the nightlife went on until early morning, and food and drinks were insanely cheap. Life in Canada is expensive, jobs are hard to find, and I have so many responsibilities. But then again, I live in a cockroach-free apartment, I breathe some clean air, and I can actually bake brownies.

You can leave Korea, but Korea never really leaves you.

PS- Try this amazing and EASY brownies recipe from Nigella Lawson. Just google the conversions. Everyone loved it.

10 comments:

Nicole Marie said...

hahah you are too funny. and fun times! sharing experiences with other people and reminicing is the best!

Kelly said...

mmmm the brownies sounds amazing, definitely trying those!

thanks for the bday cupcake suggestion!! yours seemed to turn out so well i'd be silly not to try it!!!

thevoyageofv said...

Hm, I think it's all worth it for a cockroach-free apartment. But it's wonderful you can still relive the best parts with good friends!

ANDY said...

Hey!!!!
how does it feel to be back?????????????????
By the way, there is a small chance I might move back to Montreal, I want to, so bad!!!!!

Tracy-Girl said...

mmm... i love brownies too!

{lovely little things} said...

What program did you go through, I've been thinking about teaching abroad, and your experience is very inspiring. If you could, leave a comment on my blog with the info!

Thanks

LENORENEVERMORE said...

...adore Nigella Lawson, she's smart & beautiful...and she makes food so sexy again!I got to fly to Korea one day...love Kim-Chee too much & its culture!

Abeo said...

ok ok i'm going to korea, definitely some day...

Bradpetehoops said...

Brownies are good! I love it!

Melvin said...

Nice to see this post...
thanks for sharing....


___________________
Melvin
Call Today for NEXT DAY Instellation to watch your Favorite Channels on HD reciever.