Sunday, March 15, 2009

Translation in fashion

When I travel to a different city, I always notice how people dress there, and what's the general vibe. I remember feeling so underdresses in Seoul, where every girl wore high heels, satin skirts and giant bows. I remember feeling way too colorful in Paris, where everyone just wore... black, grey, and navy. And I remember feeling way too boring in Japan, where everyone is just... well, perfectly attired. Did I mention how much I love Japan? Anyways.

Now that I'm back in Montreal, I've had loads of time to people-watch, and noticed that pretty much everyone is a hipster. A hipster! Looking like they came right out of an American Apparel ad. All sporting the lamé leggings and Ray-Bans, and something neon. Hipsters everywhere! I mean, I love American Apparel myself, half of my wardrobe comes from there, but I'm by no means a hipster. I see some very well dressed non-hipster girls, too, and makes me realize how stylish Montreal is.

I also realize that some things don't translate well, from Seoul to Montreal. I don't always feel comfortable wearing some things I'd wear back in Seoul, as the styles are so different here. In Seoul, every girl wore shorts and tights together. Here, I never really see it, and it feels odd. Even colored tights, I haven't seen anyone wearing them. In Seoul, people gave me weird looks when I wore rain boots. Here, everyone has a cute pair.

I'm still wondering if Seoul is more stylish than Montreal. The trends are definitely very different, but I somehow like to dress my own way, borrowing tips from Asia, and trying not to look like a hipster.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

I think that combining what you like from each culture is the best idea!! Taking your favorites and making your own fun outfit sounds like the best bet and who knows, maybe you'll start some new trends :D

thevoyageofv said...

Yikes. Heels, satin skirts and bows? Yowza! I had the same experience when I came back from Sweden, when I was confronted by Philly's legions of hipsters. I think it's cool to have spent time somewhere else and sort of create a hybrid style that sets you apart a bit. You can take the best of all the places you love. Just steer clear of those satin skirts!

Nicole Marie said...

you're right its so weird going from one trend to another based on location. There's a huge difference even just from southern california and northern california. But I love the diversity in northern california because i feel like everyone looks and wear exactly the same thing in southern california.

Abeo said...

koreans are quite hardcore about their appearances no?! My friend have told me how everywhere he looks were model (likes) and wannabe photographers (koreans tend to carry SLR cam with them all the time?). While i do think korea do have some great local designers. Urg I really hope to experience korea some day.

Michelle Vandepol said...

clever insights on fashion vibes :) what's your take on vancouver?

seasonal lust said...

dont forget the hats! my girlfriend was saying how everyone wore hats all the time in korea

modern antoinette said...

Being from Montreal, I could not agree more with what you are saying. I getting kind of sick of seeing everyone look the same...Hipsters are invadin the city...lol. I just wish some people would be less trendy more stylish.

I love reading you.
Check out my blog if you feel like it.
xoxo
Stephanie
www.modernantoinette.blogspot.com

Melvin said...

Great to read this post...
thanks for sharing....


___________________
Melvin
Call Today for NEXT DAY Instellation to watch your Favorite Channels on HD reciever.