Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Seoul: the aftermath

I have loads of time to think lately, so here's a little Korea wrap-up.

Was it a waste of time? Not at all. As much as it probably hurt my career a bit, I'm sure in the long run it will be beneficial, and on a personal level it was the best experience ever. I see life differently, and appreciate small things and friendships so much more.

Do I miss Korea? Actually, I don't really. Okay, I miss Seoul, I miss the activity of the city, the subway, the crowds, the bustling, the neon lights, the shopping. And I miss my friends dearly, and all the fantastic times I've had. But the culture? I found it quite abrasive in general, and no, I don't miss it. One year was good, one year was fun, but I couldn't take much more of it, to be honest.

And I know Montreal is not perfect. Montreal is small, I see the same people everywhere, and shops and cafés close at 10pm on weeknights. It's hard to find a job. There's a lot of scary people around. I don't feel as safe as I did in Seoul. But the quality of life is so much better. The air is clean, people are smiling and holding doors, and it's just home.

Do I want to leave again? Oh yes. And all that time off and chaos in my personal life is once again the perfect motivation to find a new, exciting project, and think about what I really want in life.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

I love when experiences make you appreciate the things around you. No matter what is going on in my life, I'll always have an underlying pep in my step just because I'm appreciating everything around me. I'm so glad that you are able to reflect like that. It's so refreshing :)

thevoyageofv said...

Geez, reading your posts is like listening to the thoughts in my own head sometimes. Just substitute Sweden for Seoul...

seasonal lust said...

as long as you are not running away but going to find yourself, then go wherever the wind takes you =)

Coffee_c said...

Keep your head high my friend because you've done it! And you're asking for more!
I like the way you see Montreal now, and how your experience affected your whole perception of things. Ça relativise tout on dirait et je pense que c'est une bonne chose.
Miss you already...
xxx
Annie

Nicole Marie said...

I'm really excited to hear what your next step is or your next job or place to go!!
have a great weekend! and i think san francisco would be very happy to have you if thats a option :)

Pretty Little World said...

I went to Seoul for just a couple of weeks, and while I loved it there, it was a very exhausting city.

Everything is very fast paced and so crowded.

Living there for a year sounds like such an amazing experience, but I can definitely understand how that would be enough!

Melvin said...

Great to read this post...
thanks for sharing....


___________________
Melvin
Call Today for NEXT DAY Instellation to watch your Favorite Channels on HD reciever.