Monday, March 2, 2009

Nuit Blanche

The last two weeks have been a haze... between sleeping, sleeping, sleeping... and seeing my friends, going out and enjoying myself, getting IKEA furniture, and sleeping more... I think I finally caught up on all the sleepless Seoul nights, and the jet lag.

I'm slowly making friends again with Montreal, despite the cold. Last weekend was the annual Nuit Blanche in Montreal, which means "all-nighter". In other words, everything in the city is open all night- museums, art galleries, swimming pools, concert halls... and tons of activities going on outside as well.

We started the night with some Korean food- yes. My friends insisted, and I agreed. It wasn't bad, but it sort of made me nostalgic. We then moved to the Old Montreal, where we enjoyed some maple milk (instead of hot chocolate- how Canadian), and watched people slide on a giant ice... slide. Brrrr. By the time I finished my last sip of maple milk, my toes were frozen (I'm still not properly dressed for Montreal winters. Rainboots are NOT snow boots!!!). We then waited in line for what turned out to be the best part of the night: traditional dancing in City Hall. From Korean culture to Quebec folk culture, what a shock! It was so much fun, people were teaching us how to follow the routine and it was a blast. We continued on to some art galleries, stopping for some mulled wine, then the Museum of Contemporary Art for Japanese exhibits and 80's music. I must admit, I did not make it past 2 am with frozen toes, too much wine, and too many sleepless nights beforehand, but it was a blast... despite the cold. I love Montreal. People go out and do stuff, even if it's the coldest day of winter. They bundle up and face it.

So, I've been feeling a little bit more at home, and a little bit more like myself. I finally have some furniture for my bedroom, the IKEA trip was great, as usual. I'm actively, actively looking for a job. I'm also having a lot of fun, and making cupcakes, and watching Friends. Friends are always so comforting, no? I watched them in Seoul, and I'm still watching them here- I'm changing but they never do.

9 comments:

Nicole Marie said...

so fun!!! that would be so awesome to go to all those places in the middle of the night!

i'm glad you're feeling more at home!!

aaron thomas smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
aaron thomas smith said...

'making friends with montreal again'
brilliant, i love it!

thevoyageofv said...

It sounds like Montreal is giving you a warm welcome home! How do you make maple milk? It sounds so good!

Vivian said...

maple milk was so simple!

they simply put a few tablespoons of maple syrup, and add some warm milk. tasty!!

Kelly said...

Maple Milk?! That sounds good! I want to try and make it! I'm so happy your finally settling in :) And that all nighter sounds like a blast. San Francisco should do that!

And friends is always so comforting for me too! My boyfriend owns all the seasons! I get hooked for sure.

seasonal lust said...

you make me want to visit Montreal so bad! Turns out the trip for the bachelorette party has been changed to somewhere warm, rather than Montreal and I am sort of sad... =(

Good luck with the job hunt!

{michelle} said...

Nuit Blanche, I've never heard of it that sounds so cool! What a weekend to visit, I'll have to remember that for next year. Is it the same weekend every year?

Melvin said...

Great to read this post...
thanks for sharing....


___________________
Melvin
Call Today for NEXT DAY Instellation to watch your Favorite Channels on HD reciever.