Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Bittersweet

(This one goes out to Nicole, who's itching to pack and go travel abroad)

Bittersweet is the perfect word to describe how I feel right now. Saying good byes to friends in Seoul, leaving this huge city, but going home to old friends and familiar things.

Today was my last day of teaching- perhaps for ever! My students wrote me some letters, which were so touching. I do hope I made a difference in their lives somehow, even if it was just from playing a game or making them laugh. I'll miss the kids, and the joys of teaching. Especially when I'll be running about on a busy set and stressing out about deadlines.

Packing my stuff was actually quite fast, I gave a huge bag of clothes to my friend who's staying an extra year, she was very excited. I'm shipping a box by boat, and taking the rest along. I'm surprisingly a light packer. No one believes me when I tell them I came to Korea with only one suitcase full of clothes, and the other suitcase only contained bedding.

And I'm not forgetting about the pictures of my apartment! I know you're all waiting for it, and you won't be disappointed.

So I'm off to enjoy one last meal with all the other foreign teachers. We're all parting ways, each going back to Canada, South Africa, and some back to Korea. Then off to meet more friends for more good-byes... but then I read my roommate's Facebook page and I get excited again. Bittersweet!

3 comments:

maeghan said...

I'm excited for you! I'm sure it'll feel weird but great to be home. I wish you a smooth transition. :)

Nicole Marie said...

hahaha very true!

have a safe trip! enjoy being able to understand the language and knowing what you're eating and seeing your friends again and feeling like you never left!!

Melvin said...

I really like this blog...
its really great to read...
thanks for sharing...

___________________
Melvin
Save OVER 50% for 3 months,Save $21/mo for an Entire Year!* on your Favorite Channels