Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The final month

I realize that I've complained a lot throughout the year- but I know I tried hard to always look on the bright side. And to think that a month ago I would have given anything to be on a plane to Canada, I'm now dreading the departure date as it is fast approaching.

Yes sure I cannot wait to see my friends and family, enjoy my mom's cooking, find all my favourite foods at the grocery store, understand what is going on around me, and have a real home.

I'm afraid I'll be disappointed- everything I've missed all year long might just not be as great as in my day dreams. I know life back home will be difficult, especially with the job search, and just being back after being gone for so long.

In Seoul, I have loads of free time, so I'm always going somewhere, meeting someone, and discovering something new. I try a new cafe or restaurant every week, I keep making new, amazing friendships, and I also read and write a lot. Hopefully all these newly acquired habits can translate into my Montreal life.

I also spent most of the year wondering if my one-year stint in Korea was a bad career choice. Many times when I was in the classroom I found myself missing the exciting, stressful days on a television set. On bad days, I convinced myself that coming to Korea would make it difficult to get back into the industry when I head home. I realize it might be a little bit difficult, but at this point I don't regret anything at all. I NEEDED this year, I needed to take a break, see the world and discover another side of myself.

And teaching children was amazing. I got so attached to them, and teaching is rewarding- something I never felt on the TV set, running around to get the perfect cup of coffee. I do miss working for the egos on a TV set, but teaching kids actually taught me to be more patient.

I also freelanced as an editor during my year here, so it's a great thing to add to my resume- something I wouldn't mind pursuing at home (most likely in French). So in the end, being in Korea was more beneficial than hurtful for my career, even though I might not find a job right away.

Living in Seoul was also a fabulous experience, the third biggest city in the world, an overpopulated place filled with great neighbourhoods and little-known hang outs. I now feel like I know Seoul by heart.

But yes, it's time to go home, I cannot live like that forever. I feel fresh and motivated for a new start in Montreal, we'll see how it goes. For now, I'll make the most of my last few weeks here, between packing, working, and seeing everyone.

6 comments:

Emily said...

it's been such a joy reading through all of your great and not so great (um, creepy man in your apartment in the middle of the night) experiences while in Seoul. since i regrettably didn't study abroad while in college, traveling to a foreign country is such a scary idea to me. you made the best of it and have this wonderful blog to remember all of your experiences! enjoy your last few weeks!

PrincessImp. said...

Sometimes a change is needed to bring about better times. Sounds like Seoul was good for you...and will be a great experience that you can cherish.

Nicole Marie said...

there's no way this was a bad decision. just like you said no regrets. you learned so much and its a great hting to put on your resume. enjoy your last few weeks!!

seasonal lust said...

so begins another adventure. =)

♥ fashion chalet said...

A farmer? No way you are too cute for that!! :] Thanks for the compliment though, you're always so very sweet. And I truly do enjoy reading what you have to say (both in my blog and in yours!) xx

Melvin said...

great post....
i like this blog...



___________________
Melvin
60+ Premium movies and sports channel