Thursday, January 22, 2009

Behind the scenes

or, "Coming to Seoul: the Story".

I landed my dream job on a popular television show right out of university, just out of the blue. Freshly graduated, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my career, but one thing was sure, I needed and wanted to travel or go work abroad. Staying in Montreal was out of the question, and that's why I said no when I got a sudden job offer on a tv show. The idea was tempting, so I visited the set anyways and realized I couldn't say no. So I said yes for one year, promising myself I'd go travel right after. Sounded like a perfect plan, but one year in my Devil Wears Prada actually lasted... four years.

In those four years I never had any time to think about my life too much, I just worked, worked, and worked, and enjoyed the great perks- fun parties with the crew and local celebrities (we're talking about Quebec, not Hollywood), and being lucky enough to work for one of the most important people in the industry. I loved my job so much, would stay long hours and take it all in.

However, any time a friend (or Aaron) would mention some great stories about living or working abroad, I'd get insanely envious and frustrated I did not get to experience it myself. I started thinking about Asia, since it's a completely different culture, and a great way to save money. I knew it was a bit crazy to quit everything, but I NEEDED to do it.

Thankfully everyone around me was so supportive, even my producers and co-workers, encouraging me to take the plunge. I knew it was not the smartest move for my career in the industry, but it was the best thing to do for myself. I knew I'd regret my decision to leave on tough Korea days, and I did a few times.

But being away made me appreciate it even more, and I know I'm passionate about that field, or anything related, so in the end I don't regret anything. I realize it might be difficult to find a contract when I go back, but that was part of the deal. I'm scared (or rather, terrified), but the way I see it, I gained so much more on a personal level and I got the traveling out of my system... for now.

Stay tuned as I return to Montreal and...

8 comments:

Dora said...

Wow...this is amazing. I've just come across your blog, and realize that I'm doing exactly what you've done, only I've moved across the world in the opposite direction, and am on the opposite end of the timeline!

I'm moved from Hong Kong to London, and this is only my third month in! It'll certainly be interesting to read back on your experiences, and how you deal with going home... Good luck! :)

Nicole Marie said...

that's awesome. right now its so easy for me to say im just going to pick up and move because all i have is school but it would be so hard to leave a great job and do that. kudos to you!

Kelly said...

i love this post. it's inspiring. i'm starting to get the itch to pick up and change location and in about 5 months i'll have the opportunity to. i just hope that i have the courage that you do to actually follow through :)

seasonal lust said...

forget logic. sometimes you just have to do what you want NEED to do to be happy. I know you probably are feeling pretty apprehensive about the challenges you may face when you return, but (sorry if this sounds cliche) everything will work itself out in its own little way. =) so thats my wish to you.

as for me, im starting to feel that itch. everyone around me is pursuing their dreams and travelling the globe, whereas i am here, at a comfortable stable job, living with my boyfriend. the next step would be to get married and have kids and so forth... very predictable.

and a part of me still wants to LIVE. it also means leaving all that comfort and security behind, but hopefully i can muster up the strength to be as strong as you are and do what i have to do.

J said...

wow thats amazing. its hard to plunge into something thats so different from where you started. but im glad to hear how much you appreciated your experience. good luck back in montreal :)

ginevraweasley_ said...

Hi, I happened to find your blog while surfing the net, and it immediately caught my attention =) I'm from Italy but I'm studying in order to find a work abroad. Your story was inspiring... leaving people and places is not as easy as it may seem. I'll keep an eye on your blog from now on!

Giulia

maeghan said...

It shows a lot of strength of character to be able to make such a courageous move. Way cool. :)

Melvin said...

Interesting stuff...
thanks for sharing....

__________________
Melvin
The only Satellite Television Delivers the Best Value in Entertainment