Monday, November 24, 2008

Uniqlo






Can you tell I like simple things? Or rather, Japanese things?

Uniqlo is my other love from Asia. I know I mention it all the time, and I almost exclusively shop for basics there, so I thought it deserved its whole entry. I'll miss it so much when I go back to Canada. They only have one store in NYC, and again it's too far.

Uniqlo is the Japanese H&M- or maybe Gap? Although I never liked Gap very much, I'm loving the simplicity of Uniqlo's clothes, and the affordable prices. True, sometimes the collections are a bit lacking in excitement, it's a quite monochromatic. Yet they have the best basics- turtlenecks, t-shirts, jeans, sweater dresses, and hooded sweatshirts in all colors. They also have great-fitting skinny jeans for 40$ a pair, and a few times a year they have guest designers such as Alexander Wang.

I'm almost embarrassed to say I know all the different Uniqlo locations around Seoul, and I religiously visit the store at least once a week. I don't always buy something, but I know the collections by heart and can locate every item in less than 5 seconds. I got Aaron addicted to the men's section, too. While in Japan, I was stunned to discover that their Uniqlo stores sell kimonos and home goods. Yes, that's where I bought my kimono and matching tiny wooden sandals.

How can you not love a store that features Sonic Youth's Kim Gordon as a model?

8 comments:

Emily said...

ooh i've never heard of uniqlo before, but now i'm quite intrigued. next time i'm in ny, i'm definitely paying the store a visit!

Mariëlle said...

Thanks for the comment you left me! I really like your blog by the way - I added you to my bloglist!

♥ fashion chalet said...

Happy Thanksgiving. Thank you. :)

Your blog comments are always so great, just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy them<3333

A sweater dress sounds fantastic!

xx

Angela said...

I LOOOVE japanese things. They're always so creative and cute!

I need to go visit UNIQLO now!

Lynne said...

I love Uniqlo too - we have it in the UK. I just bought a cardigan from there, and I am going to change the buttons to something sparkly (the buttons almost cost as much the cardigan!)

Colleen said...

I was searching for English information on the locations of Uniqlo in Seoul as I will be taking a trip there for the New Year and stumbled across your blog! Could you give me some relative ideas of where the stores are- I have loved and devoted too much money to Uniqlo back in NYC and can't wait for a revival in SK! Great blog btw, cheers!

Andrea said...

Hi. I'm desperately looking for a Uniqlo's in Seoul. Where can I find the shops??

Vivian said...

Hi Andrea!!

There are quite a few Uniqlo shops in Seoul!

Try the biggest one in Myeong-Dong (line 4 Myeong Dong station, exit 5- you turn left after the big Pascucci café on the corner)

Otherwise, there is one inside the Coex Mall (Samseong station, line 2, exit 6)

And another one in Gangnam (Gangnam station, exit 7 I think)

Good luck! Gosh i cannot believe i remember all the directions, i left 6 months ago!!!! haha.