Saturday, November 8, 2008

Sharing a smile, so far from home

Getting through bouts of homesickness would never have been possible without small things that made my life so much easier. Homesickness is like going through a bad break-up, and little things such as comfort foods, emails from friends, and movies you love can cheer you up so much. I'm not feeling homesick anymore, but every time I go through a phase, I watch a movie or TV show that remind me of home and instantly pick me up. As lame as it may sound, I couldn't have done it without:

{Breakfast at Tiffany's}
Photobucket
This movie has a special meaning for me: I watched it for the first time on the flight over to Seoul. I remember being completely panicked about moving to Korea for a year, not being able to change my mind at that point, and not being able to get any sleep on the plane. Thankfully the movie was on the menu, and I thought it was so beautiful and made me feel so much better. Every time I see it now, I remember that one night.

{Friends}
Photobucket
I've been watching Friends since I was a teenager. In fact, the French girl in me learned quite a few English expressions from it. I also spent countless evenings curled up on the couch with my roommate, watching marathons of it. She probably thought I was nuts. Even Aaron, who thinks their jokes are lame, always stays glued to the screen when we see episodes on TV. Good old fun.

{Lost In Translation}
Photobucket
Reminds me of why I came here in the first place. Makes me excited about living abroad and encountering challenges every day. Everything Sofia Coppola makes is just exquisite.

{Flight of the Conchords}
Photobucket
Brett and Jemaine are so hilarious (my roommate and I used to have a crush on Jemaine), I can watch it over and over. I also like to sing along.

{The Devil Wears Prada}
Photobucket
Reminds me of the reason why I quit my job back home and came here. But makes me miss my old job also. I just love looking at the clothes, and my favorite scene is the make-over, when Anne Hathaway show up wearing Chanel and sporting blunt bangs.

{Sex and the City}
Photobucket
Because I'm a girl. And I love fashion. And I analyze relationships. And ask myself too many questions that Carrie Bradshaw often answers. Aaron always imitates her, so it's difficult to watch it when he's around.

Yes. I survived this year thanks (in part) to them.

3 comments:

Nicole Marie said...

i'm glad you have these things to make you un-homesick! you're getting such a cool experience i'm so jealous!

Emily said...

i seriously think that you've listed my all-time favorite comfort shows and movies. flight of the conchords is just about the funniest thing since arrested development (if you haven't seen it, you must!).

seasonal lust said...

very good list. i cant believe that flight was your first time seeing breakfast at tiffany's! have you seen roman holiday? i highly recommend it.

lost in translation was an amazing movie. the soundtrack is just as good. i sofia coppola has such good taste in music. i loved the soundtrack from marie antoinette.